Pattaya vs. Angeles City – Each To His Own
I have lived in South-East Asia for a large part of the past 8 years and I have visited most of the notoriously famous whoremongering destinations in this area. While living in Bangkok, I have made many trips to Pattaya on weekends, going to the beach, visiting friends, kite surfing, yachting, flying small planes, golfing, shopping, bar hopping, and similar. When I was located in Singapore, I travelled to Philippines on business several times and have been to Angeles City on two occasions visiting aviation companies and pilot training facilities located in the Clark Air Base area. I have made several short trips to Phnom Penh and Siem Riep in Cambodia, but never made it to Sihanoukville or Kep on the seaside. I have been to Saigon, Hanoi, and several seaside resorts in Vietnam. I have visited Bali several times. As a single man, I have dated, romanced, and enjoyed pay-for-play services in all of these places. I have visited other countries in this region too, but this is not relevant in the context of this contribution.
There is no universally correct answer to the question: “Which one is better, Pattaya or Angeles City?” Below you find some guidelines that can help you answer this question for yourself.
A) If ALL you are looking for is:
• Cheap sex
• Cheap, clean accommodation
• Solid selection of moderately priced food
• Cheap beer
• Meeting individuals with similar interests
• You love to hear “I love you too much” from girls you have just paid barfine for
• You get no love and affection in any developed (and most underdeveloped) countries and you crave for being loved in any way – perhaps you even read Stickman and have an idea that 'love' for these girls is more related to financial security and escape from poverty than deep emotional connection, but you don’t mind or this is simply the best you can get
• You like to feel like a millionaire on your holidays and you are not really getting this feeling any more in Thailand
• You feel intimidated by young blokes, dudes obviously richer, fitter and healthier than you competing for the same girls
– then head straight to Angeles City, Phnom Penh, or Sihanoukville! All your wishes will be fulfilled!
B) In case you are interested in any of the following:
• Nice seaside resorts / world brand hotels / 5 star accommodation / renting a serviced villa with pool
• Fitness centers
• Wake boarding, kite surfing, windsurfing
• Go karting on a championship grade circuit
• Renting scooter, motorbike, or car
• Yachting or making boat trips to islands
• Gliding, ultra light, sport or private flying(2)
• Sightseeing (zoo, temples, floating village)
• Shopping (world brands; factory outlet shops)
• Enough sex with nice girls
• 1 hour easy motorway ride to a major international airport
• 1.5 hours easy motorway ride to a major Asian city
• Meeting interesting and well travelled people(3)
• You do not mind a bit of sleaze and seediness
• You are ok with the fact that pretty girls 20+ years your junior are harder to get
• You accept the fact that you will not be treated like a king unless you are young, handsome, and rich
• You know that young girls will not profess their love for you after knowing you for 20 minutes
– then go to Pattaya, this might be the right place for you. Phuket or Bali might be considered too.
1) I have heard there is a golf course near Angeles city. In any case, I am sure that there is no comparison to the sheer abundance and quality of facilities found in Chonburi region around Pattaya.
2) Clark Air Base has very good facilities for ultra light and private flying and small aviation is actually more professionally managed in Philippines than in Thailand. But again, Angeles City pales in comparison with Chonburi with over 10 local airstrips patronised by some very nice people (3 in Pattaya itself) and some truly beautiful costal scenery.
3) Admittedly, Pattaya has its share of rowdies, losers and shady characters, but you will find a great number of very interesting individuals. Microsoft’s employee nr. 27 enjoys the proceeds of his stock options while living in Pattaya, several very successful entrepreneurs from USA and Europe each worth more than 10 million USD have their residences there, many successful foreign-owned enterprises are located in Pattaya. Pattaya hosted Hillary Clinton and other politicians during the World Economic Summit 2 years ago.
Finally, I have to say, I am not a huge fan of Pattaya and I really hate every minute spent in Angeles City. In any case, I appreciate all the things that Pattaya has to offer and I admire how Pattaya has developed itself from a seedy seaside version of Angeles City (at least the beach was always there!!) into a mainstream holiday destination. Some people might hate the fact that the dollar or pound does not go as long as it used to and any white male is not automatically considered a supreme species, but for those there is Philippines (with average income at 50% of Thailand level), Cambodia (20% of Thai income levels) or Laos (15% of Thai income).
Suum Cuique Pulchrum Est – Each to His Own.
Interesting comparison. I truly believe that naughty boys should enjoy Pattaya while they can because I am utterly, totally convinced that it is well down the path to becoming a family holiday destination and the nightlife is becoming a smaller part of the city.